Monday, September 29, 2014

#17: Oktoberpretzel (Mikkeller)

Name: Oktoberpretzel
Brewery: Mikkeller
Style: Oktoberfest, 5.8%


The first beer I ever liked was an Oktoberfest. It tasted like bread and it was an eye-opening breakthrough for me; I didn't know beverages could taste like that! When I saw Mikkeller start advertising their new Oktoberpretzel, I was excited. I was hoping for something yeasty and with a nice malty sweetness. The label reminded me of when my after school German class made pretzels.
I got to try it at the Mikkeller & Friends Bottle Shop, and I'm sad to say I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't have any of the bready taste I was hoping for with a beer named after a German soft pretzel. Since that first Oktoberfest beer that left such an impression, I've had a couple others and they have tasted pretty boring to me. This wasn't much of an exception. It did taste a little salty, which was interesting and I guess that's where the pretzel part is supposed to come in. Without the bready flavor that I was hoping for, the saltiness seemed a bit misplaced. Oh well. Happy Oktoberfest anyway, everyone! Prost!

Label: 3.5/5
Beer:3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment